Indeed, with over 55 million overseas in 2010, in 2015 approx 150 million, China is the third most visited country in the world. According to the report, foreign exchange income was 45.8 billion U.S. dollars, the world's fourth largest in the same year. Meanwhile, the number of domestic tourist visits totaled 1.61 million.
All in all, tourism is a relevant industry in China - its tourism revenue reached $ 185 billion in 2009 - and this is also due to its touristic values such as History, architecture, food, beauty and nature. Therefore, here are the top visited cities in China:
1) Beijing is the most visited city in the country. As the capital of the People's Republic of China, Beijing is not only the heart of the nation's politics, culture and international intercourse, but it is also one of the six ancient capital cities in Chinese history; therefore, it is home to relevant sites such as Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, The Great Wall, Ming Tomb, Tiananmen Square, Hutong and Yashow Market.
2) Shanghai comes second in the list of most visited cities in China but comes first in size. Indeed, this magnificent city is the largest metropolitan area in China and is situated in central-easter China, facing the East China Sea. Some of the sites that attract tourists include Shanghai Jade Buddha Temple, Shanghai Bund, Shanghai Xin Tian Di, Shanghai Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Shanghai Yuyuan Garden and Shanghai Huangpu River.
3) China's third most visited city reflects China's worldwide relevance in historical value. With over 3,100 years of history, Xian is one of the oldest cities in China. Tourists from all over the world flock to Xian to travel in time and admire the mysticism of China's ancient civilisation. Some of its most relevant attractions include Terra-cotta Army, Banpo Museum, Shaanxi Provincial Museum, Xian Great Mosque, Huaqing Hotspring, City Wall, Big Goose Pagoda and Forest of Stone Steles Museum.
4) Bordered by the Li River, Guilin is the most beautiful place in China. Both overseas and domestic tourist flock to Guilin attracted by its famous natural views, such as green hills, featuring rockeries, clean water, unique caves and stones of many shapes. The local colour is enhanced by the many ethnic minorities that inhabit the place. Some of its most relevant attractions include The Li River, The Reed Flute Cave, Seven Star Park, Guilin Folded Brocade Hil, Fubo Hill, Elephant Trunk Hill, Fubo Hill, Solitary Beauty Hill, Longji Terraced Field in Longsheng, Fengyu Cave in Lipu County Guiline, among others.
5) Some of the others popular cities include Hangzhou known as Heaven on Earth due to its beautiful natural scenery. Its most famous attraction is the city's West Lake, bordered by numerous temples, pagodas, gardens and artificial islands within the lake.
6) Chengdu - where the giant pandas are the major attraction - is the sixth most visited city in China.
7) Huangshan, seventh most visited city in China, is famous for its magnificent beauty. Some of the most important sites include Tunxi Ancient Street, Xidi and Hongcun Ancient Villages, Tangyue Memorial Archway, Flower Mountain and Enigma Caves.